Wednesday 15 August 2012

Always time for tea

My adventures of learning how to live as the English woman I was born into and the American I grew into, perplexed me by just how different these two cultures can be. Take for example, a cup of tea. Easy enough, eh? Not so! Growing up in the States (and yes, Americans will call the USA, "the States", whilst the British will call it "America"--like it's the New world or land of opportunity or something crazy). PS. I'd like to point out at this time that American's have knicked a few things from the Britons whilst trying to claim their independence...for example...they wanted freedom to do what they wanted then why call the new world after the old one? England---> cross the pond---> New England. DOH! Oh, I give up. And don't even get me started on the Boston Tea Party...Right so back to tea....



The English way to make a cuppa tea: First, boil the kettle(even if it's just for one cup--also do not EVER let your British housemates catch you using the microwave to heat the water--they will be appalled--not that I'm speaking from experience or anything), add your milk to the mug, apply tea bag to boiling water, then sugar (if you take it). Remove tea bag (which if you're really posh should be Earl Grey tea or something similar). Stir with spoon and then promptly burn your tongue. Now that's a proper cup o' tea.

However, I grew up on American tea. Which implies you dump some water in a mug add a tea bag, sugar and pop it in the microwave for a minute or so, then remove it and add lemon--no milk. (the milk and lemon lesson I learned on my own--I was trying to have the best of both worlds---aye, the milk curdles--who knew?)

I'm still doing my best to learn what the difference is between my everyday tea and a "high" tea or cream tea. And also why I feel I have to hide my mug in the microwave and 'nuke' it when no one is looking (I mean come on, I'm just trying to save on the electricity bill and can't see putting on the kettle for one little mug). As curious as all this is, my mum gets up religiously every morning and has her tea the "English" way with milk after putting on the kettle and she's lived in the states now for years, so maybe there is hope for me yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment