Saturday 17 November 2012

Hayling Island

"Sally sells seashells down by the seashore." Now say that ten times fast...

One of my newest adventures sent me off to the seashore hunting for seashells. After much whining and begging my friend gave in and drove us 65 miles to the south shore of England to a small island town known as Hayling Island. An hour and half later (and several rainstorms later...) we approached the coast. This was my first trip to an English coast and I wanted to take it all in come rain or shine. And rain it did (please no comments about english weather, mum).

Hayling Island consists of over three miles of beaches (and I think we walked most of them) to seek shells. One beach in particular is covered in seashells. From afar it looks like a giant sand dune but when close up you realise you are actually walking on a mound of shells. Brilliant!


Despite the weather and the fact that I wore white to the beach and got soaked, had a wonderful time and most importantly got all the seashells I could carry :) Highly recommend this place with its safe open spaces, fresh air, sheltered waters and small English town feel.  During the summer months the island also has an amusement park of sorts.

Traveller tip: Eat at the local carvery. Good food, relatively cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment